Annaghdown Castle Panorama
It is a panorama photograph made up of seven separate photos stitched together to form a single image.
Annaghdown Castle was built in the 14th century by the Gaelic O'Flaherty Clan of Galway, also known as the 'The Ferocious O'Flaherties'. They earned this name following Norman invasion of Galway city in 1235. The settlers were later to erect a wall on which they had inscribed "From the ferocious O'Flaherties, Good Lord protect us". The castle has recently been restored and is now a family home.
Annaghdown pier has a tragic history as a boat carrying 20 local people to Galway sank in September 1828. All on board were drown. The tragedy was immortalised by the famous Anthony Raftery poem, Anach Cuain. There is a memorial to the victims at the shore at Annaghdown.