Shrule Castle – front view
In 1642, after a violent uprising the previous year, a large group of English Protestant settlers lead by Dr. John Maxwell, the Protestant bishop of Killala, surrendered to the Catholic forces in Castlebar and were later lead to the castle at Shrule. What followed was to become know as the 'Shrule Massacre' when scores of the settlers were killed by their Catholic escort duty. Some survivors of the massacre were taken to Ross Errilly Friary in Headford, Co. Galway where they were cared for by the monks.
(also see alternative photograph of Shrule Castle)