Cong Cloisters 1
The Royal Augustinian Abbey of Cong, Co. Mayo, was founded by St Feichin in the early 7th century and was destroyed by fire in the early 12th century. Its was refounded in 1135 by Turlough Mor O'Connor, one of Ireland's High Kings. His son, Rory O' Connor, last high King of Ireland died and was buried here in 1198. His remains were later moved to Clonmacnoise
William de Burgh, a Norman knight, attacked Cong in 1203 but again the abbey was rebuilt. Cong Abbey has served many purposes including a hiding place for the O'Connor family, a hospital for the sick, a shelter for the destitute as well as being a place of learning for countless scholars.
(also see alternative photograph of Cloisters at Cong Abbey)