Monk`s Fishing House at Cong

This photograph of the building know as the Monk's Fishing House was taken in the grounds of Cong Abbey was taken in June 2010.

The Fishing House is thought to have been built in either he 15th or 16th century on the shore of the River Cong which flows into the nearby Lough Corrib. It is built on a platform of stones over a small arched opening which allows the river to flow underneath the floor.

A trapdoor in the floor is thought to have been used to drop a net to catch fish from the river. It is also thought that a line was connected from the fishing house to the monastery kitchen to alert the monk to a fresh catch.

The Royal Augustinian Abbey of Cong, Co. Mayo, was founded by St Feichin in the early 7th century but was destroyed by fire in the 12th century. Its was refounded in 1135 by Turlough Mor O'Connor, one of Ireland's High Kings. His son, Rory O' Connor, last high King of Ireland died and was buried in the Abbey in 1198.

William de Burgh, a Norman knight, attacked Cong in 1203 but again the abbey was rebuilt. Cong Abbey has served many purposes including a hiding place for the O'Connors, a hospital for the sick, a shelter for the destitute as well as being a place of learning for countless scholars

(also see alternative photograph of Monk’s Fishing House)


Purchase Photograph

© Ciaran McHugh Photography 2009-2017, by Sea Design